Logistics for e-commerce is a chain of steps involving everything that happens after the customer places an order on the website. In general, we can say that it involves supplier selection, product storage, transportation calculation, product packaging and preparation, but also order tracking and delivery of goods and reverse logistics. Let’s find out together the steps to make your e-commerce logistics flawless.
What is e-commerce logistics?
Logistics for e-commerce consists of a chain of steps connected to everything that happens after the customer places an order on the website, it goes through the following processes:
- choice of suppliers;
- product stock;
- transport calculation;
- Product packaging and preparation;
- issuing invoices;
- order tracking;
- Delivery of goods;
- exchange and return.
E-commerce: what is the importance of logistics
As we have already mentioned, logistics for e-commerce is essential to the proper functioning and success of an online store and ensures the survival of the business. But in addition to this, if done well, it can also generate several benefits, such as:
- Increased sales conversion;
- Best shopping experience;
- Better customer retention and loyalty,
- Promotion of branding and good reputation for the brand.
Why then good logistics is critical for online stores? Because you can have a good website, with good usability, your e-commerce can have good traffic thanks to SEO and Google ADS but if the product purchased by the customer does not arrive on time or if it arrives with a defect, all the investment effort will have been practically in vain.
Delivery problems leave a hard-to-forget dissatisfaction in the customer’s memory, eventually eroding his credibility and brand reputation.
If, on the contrary, the business has well-structured and efficient logistics, the tendency will be for the customer to buy again and become a loyal customer by becoming a brand promoter either through word-of-mouth marketing or through testimonials and online reviews.
So we can say that logistics for e-commerce is also part of online marketing because fast delivery times can be decisive on competitors, look at the giant Amazon.
E-commerce logistics: 10 steps to make it flawless
As you have seen, logistics encompasses all the actions necessary for products to reach the customer esi mainly refers to the distribution and delivery phase.
Therefore, we list 10 steps to make your logistics perfect:
1) Create a well-defined system that uses state-of-the-art logistics software
2) Remember to thoroughly study the market and timing of your competitors.
3) Organize and constantly monitor inventory.
4) Choose good partners for returns
5) Package products properly and do so in an aesthetically pleasing way
6) Meet delivery deadlines, always.
7) Track shipped products and allow customers to do so independently as well
8) Offer an inexpensive and competitive shipping price
9) Keep the consumer informed if there is a delay and apologize with discounts or gadgets
10) Provide reverse logistics service for quick returns
Creating good logistics for e-commerce is not an easy job. It implies knowledge, well-defined processes, a good online platform and many other attentions. But following all the steps and creating the best shopping experience for your customer will surely generate very positive results for your online store.
Use the tips in this content whenever you need them and guarantee your company flawless logistics by entrusting your raw materials or finished products to the
Virdò Brothers Trucking fleet.